So I think this card exists so that people who like to make ridiculous decks have something to obsess over. It has a very powerful effect, but it's not immediately obvious how to make it useful. And I'm not going to pretend that I've cracked the code here either. I've made a few decks with it, and they've all been universally terrible.
But I do have a few observations, which will hopefully be of help to anyone trying to make this monstrosity work...
- Getting free installs/rezzes when you trash your stuff is cool, but in most cases it probably should be viewed more of as a consolation prize, than a goal in itself. You're basically making one of your things worse instead of trashing it.
- You can use this identity to install ice without paying the ice costs. This lets you make some very tall servers, if you're into that sort of thing.
- One of the biggest strengths of this ID is the built in card-search on its ability. It's very feasible to put in one-off tech cards like Mavirus, and just fetch them when you need them, by trashing the correct-sized target.
Also, consider the following scenario:
- You install Alexa Belsky for some reason.
- You install and start advancing Oaktown Renovation.
- The runner, predictably runs to steal it.
- If they manage to get through your ice and commit to accessing Oaktown, you use Alexa's, ability to trash herself and trigger Ob's ability.
- Using Ob's, you overwrite Oaktown with a Snare!. The runner has already committed to accessing, so instead of stealing your agenda, they get a face full of net damage and a tag.
There are probably better sets of cards to do this with. Alexa Belsky is not a card you'd normally want in your deck. It's surprisingly hard to find 1 cost self-trashers though! (Very unfortunate that Mark Yale just rotated.) But either way, the ability to trash an agenda mid-run is noteworthy. And the ability to replace it with something harmful after they commit to access is very interesting indeed.
Food for thought!
I'm not sure if Reconstruction Contract can be used with 0 counter, since it does not have the potential to change the game state.— ccxkrish1921
Incorrect. Trash effects intrinsically change the game state, as they move the trashed card to archives. Therefore, RC is ALWAYS trashable.— Thornstromb
No, NCIGS ignores the cost and only looks at the effect. If there would be no effect since there are no counters then there is NCIGS and you can't trash RC. Not only does it need at least one counter but it also needs a valid target to place counters on pre-trashing.— coldlava
Reconstruction Contract may be the card you're looking for instead of Alexa Belsky. You can trash to move 0 counters and trigger Ob. Saves influence if nothing else, and spare meat damage from, for example, a random Azef Protocol could potentially power it up.— tzeentchling