I like this ice. It's simple and direct.
It's basically Rototurret, except it only does one of those two things. It costs 1 more, and is 4-strength instead of zero. Overall, I think it's better? 4-strength sentries are not cheap to break, so even after the runner has their rig set up, it can provide some tax.
Since it's ice, let's look at some break costs:
- Carmen breaks it for 3
- Bukhgalter for 4, (with the possible 2 rebate)
- Femme Fatale does it for 5
- Odore costs 6, assuming you have virtual resources. (And you wouldn't play Odore without virtual resources.)
- Mimic just gets shut out, unless they have Leech, Ice Carver, or some other way to lower strength.
- Echelon costs 1-7, depending on how many icebreakers you have laying around. (Usually going to be around 4)
So you can usually count on the runner needing to spend at least 3-4. Not bad, for ice that only cost you 5, and punishes facechecking! 4 strength means that it doesn't insta-die to Chisel, although 1 subroutine means that Botulus kind of negates it. One way or another though, the runner has to deal with it, because even the best case for the runner, you just stop the run. (And the worst case is you trash something they need.)
The existence of Simulchip weakens program trashing subroutines a little, but hey, you've always got the "end the run" alternative to fall back on!
All in all - Solid mid-range ice for Weyland. Good stuff!
Carmen breaks for 3, and Bukhgalter for 4, right?— jambula
Huh. You are right. Apparently I can't math? Updated with correct numbers!— Bwob